Tuesday 12 April 2011

Back!

And I don't think I'm ever going to stay in a hostel again.  Camping I can do: sleeping alone in a log cabin in the middle of nowhere, I could probably handle.  But stuck in a small hotel with scores of hyperactive twentysomethings from all over the planet is just too stressful for me.  Not so much that I was afraid something would happen to me, rather, that I would happen to someone else.

In any case, Kapow! was a good experience tempered with trials.  It was horrifically badly organized (you account for 10,000 people, but only allow up to 500 people at any one time to some of the panels?  Balderdash, codswallop and poppycock), I missed Simon Furman, there were some truly bone-headed planning decisions, and it was very clearly a profit-oriented venture.  That said, it was also fun to be there.

More relevant to blog-reader's interest is that there was an entire stall dedicated to comic adaptations of classic authors: Conan Doyle, Burroughs, Lovecraft, and more.  I should've taken a picture, the lad and lassie were very nice.

There wasn't much of a Robert E. Howard presence, at all.  All I could find were old comics, trading cards and one or two other items.  The closest was a big poster for ImageFX, which featured... Red Sonja.  I don't know what Lionsgate are playing at.  The film's four months away.  You'd think there'd at least be a Dark Horse presence, what with the new Bruce Jones Solomon Kane and upcoming Conan stuff.


A full report will be in once I've recovered and dealt with some Conan Movie Blog news.  'Till then...

No comments:

Post a Comment