Thursday 26 September 2013

Kaiju Rising: 10 Days to Go



I hadn't had the chance to discuss this new collection of short stories which is just the sort of thing I love, but recent revelations have moved me to action:

Shh. So I’m not supposed to tell you this, but I’m one of the authors who will be unlocked if funding is met and exceeded in a new Kickstarter. There’s at least three of us mysterious contributors (I won’t tell you the identity of the others) who will be revealed if Kaiju Rising meets its stretch goals.
As it’s an anthology for monster stories, you can darned well bet that I’m drafting a new Dabir and Asim story for the collection. I’m pretty busy with other stories right now, but it was such a great looking assembly that I couldn’t stand to pass up the opportunity.
The project is being published by J.M. Martin, Tim Marquitz and Nick Sharps (the latter two serving double-shift as editors), illustrated by Dan Howard, and will feature stories by Larry Correia, Peter Clines, James Lovegrove, Erin Hoffman, James Maxey, Jaym Gates, Timothy W. Long, Mike MacLean, Natania Barron, Joshua Reynolds, David Annandale, Clint Lee Werner, Jonathan Wood,  Gini Koch, Paul Genesse, Edward M. Erdelac, Samuel Sattin, Bonnie Jo Stufflebean, and Peter Rawlik.
The first stretch goal will include additional internal art from Robert Elrod and Chuck Lukacs, and the next three stretch goals are authors. I’m not sure which of those three I am, but I’m hoping you’ll join in the Kickstarter and unlock my story. The full details can be found here.



All Kaiju Rising needs to get Howard Andrew Jones onto the team is a few more hundred simoleons:


As of this posting Kaiju Rising has already met its $10,000 target and then some, but for only another $500 or so, the return of Dabir & Asim could be upon us! You know me, I love giant monsters, and I love HAJ's Dabir & Asim, so a story involving both is right up my street! There seems to be something of a giant monster theme going on right now: whether it's because of Pacific Rim or just concurrent to it, I care not, for I welcome it regardless of which butterfly beat its wings to make this hurricane.

I haven't put my money in yet, mostly because I can't decide which of the marvellous wee packs I feel I can afford. But I must say, this one intrigues me the most:


To narrow it down, I'm talking about "ALSO limited quantities to have a chance at getting your own Kaiju-inspired short story in the anthology." As you might've noticed, I've been known to dabble a bit in my own fiction, and I'd been thinking a lot about giant monsters almost concurrently with this project. It's a semi-original setting set in a post-apocalyptic future, where the eventuality of mass monster mayhem has thrown society back to the figurative Stone Age: the monsters are worshipped as deities, and vie for control over a ruined world.


YOU MIGHT VERY WELL THINK THAT, I COULDN'T POSSIBLY COMMENT.

I have a whole cast of beasties*:


And so on. Put it on the List Of Things I Should Get Around To At Some Point after the Encyclopedia, Bannockburn and other projects.

UPDATE: The project has been successfully funded, blasting past the $12,500 needed to ensure the return of Asim & Dabir and ending up at $18,562, and unlocking all the author stretch goals! Well done, everyone. I, of course, am taking full credit and expect a free copy of all the pledge goals plus (That's enough for you today, 29-year-old Aly. - 8-Year-Old-Aly)

*I pondered including a huge honey badger, a vast elephant seal, and enormous cat, but really, the internet doesn't need feeding.

1 comment: