Tuesday 7 May 2013

I Spent an Entire Evening Writing a Post.

It was full of links, citations, quotes, you name it. I was very proud.

I mistyped. Oh dear, I'll have to undo that: CTRL-Z, my friend!

CTRL-Z. Whole page goes blank.

Shock.

Panic.

CTRL-Y. Nothing. CTRL-Z. Nothing.

Backspace in desperation.

Auto-Save.

It goes to previous page, even as I knew the cursor was in the typing field.

I scour the internet for solutions.

You cannot turn off Auto-Save. You cannot retrieve unpublished posts. You cannot restore previous drafts.

It is gone.

It has drifted on the aether of night's Plutonian shores.

Despair.

Panic.

Rage.

Impotent rage.



11 comments:

  1. Bummer. I hope you can find the strength to rewrite it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I have been there... More then once! >=( But take that above animated pic, have that guy punch through the windshield, and them flip that little banger like a sea turtle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'd love to do that, but then it wouldn't be impotent rage, since I'd actually get some satisfaction out of bashing a troublesome vehicle.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like my own experience with Blogspot that made me finally have to quit using it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What do you use instead, if you don't mind me asking? Wordpress is looking really good right now...

      Delete
  4. .....poetry.....of a sort.....what you wrote.....anon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What if you type the posts up in a word processing document first, then just copy and paste them in?

    Tex
    (my solution to glitchy sites that eat posts)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's likely what I'll end up doing. Normally I do stuff like that for the real long hauls, but in my complacency I thought I could be lucky on this instance. I guess you can never be too careful in the presence of the Blogspot.

      Frankly I don't know why Blogger doesn't just a) save a small number of drafts when you click the "save" point to prevent stuff like this happening, or at least b) the option to TURN OFF AUTOSAVE.

      Delete
  6. That happened to me a couple times before I decided never to write again in the typing field. My condolences.

    ReplyDelete