Sunday 3 January 2010

Farewell Dan, Painbrush

The Robert E. Howard forum was shocked to learn of the untimely death of Dan, there known by the username Painbrush, from his girl Sheila.

I really can't think of what to say, or rather, how to properly encapsulate. This is going to be one of those stream-of-consciousness posts.

Dan was one of my favourite first memories of the community: when I introduced myself five years ago, I remember him welcoming me to the fold. I thanked him, and slyly mentioned how jealous I was that he picked such a great handle. I really was a little bit jealous: Painbrush is a great username.

Dan and I never butted heads over anything, but I remember he was involved in some legendary donnybrooks, be it over Howard's writing, his reputation, his worldbuilding, or even something daft. The man was one hell of a Robert E. Howard fan, and took no prisoners in that approach. Though Dan's unique typing fashion and fantastic comedy style made him a great figure of fun on the forum, he showed remarkable insights. For all his "caveman on a computer" persona, there was a fiercely intelligent brain in that noggin: his post on "The Frost-Giant's Daughter" was full of it.

I'm truly glad to have known Dan, even if only over the internet. His jokes always got a laugh out of me, his more serious thoughts were deceptively intelligent and well-thought out regardless of whether I agreed or not, and the forum will be a less colourful place without him.

I'm so sorry, Sheila. Rest assured, the Robert E. Howard forum are with you. As Howard would say, we will all drink to his shade.

No comments:

Post a Comment