Sunday 3 January 2010

Triangulation: Trifectas, DeCampistas, Reviews, Kush & Almuric

I'm really down about Painbrush's passing, so this'll likely be brief. I really wish the new year got off to a better start. This was going to be the year I finally met Painbrush at Howard Days, and it tears me up knowing I won't. Damn it.

On Monday, I'm a bit late to the table regarding a trifecta of Weird Tales poetry books: I thought I was being a good little reporter with an awesome scoop, but it turns out I was late to the table. Oh well, any excuse for that awesome picture.

On the penultimate day of the year, the DeCampista Awards make their debut. I think Mark's idea is brilliant: I'm sure some will be going "but why even give them an award? You'll just encourage them!" To which I would counter: there is no way anyone would take this as a badge of pride. Except maybe Gary.

So as not to go out on a sour note, I saved the best for the last day of 2009: a review of the year. There are probably a few things I missed, but this is all the stuff I felt most relevant.

Also that day, a quick post about Charles R. Saunders' Kush essay, making a return to public after thirty-odd years. I've been meaning to ask Charles about that essay he did about Kush for Savage Sword.

The Saturday post, and the first of the new year and decade, is devoted to Almuric. I have big plans for this series over the year: chapter analysis, comparison to other stories by Howard and others, as well as a few extra surprises.

4 comments:

  1. That's too bad about Painbrush, my condolences.

    And you ARE making it to Howard Day's for sure?

    I sure want too, but won't know if I can until about a month away at the soonest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Painbrush was one of a kind. I'm writing up a better post at The Cimmerian.

    I'm doing my damnedest to get to Howard Days. It's a hell of a journey from Scotland to Texas, as you could imagine, and the price of the journey's a factor. The heat's going to be the real killer.

    Nonetheless, I'm sick of procrastinating over it, so I'm making plans to finally get there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only pop in once in a while at the Howard forums, but Painbrush's posts were great. He'll be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He sure will, Brian. I never met the guy, but it kills me that I never will.

    ReplyDelete